The history of Sjöfartshuset - The Shipping House Welcome to Sjöfartshuset, The Shipping House.
This house was built 1666-1671 by Isaac Kock, mint master, and with very few alterations, it looks much the same to this day.
In 1675 the house was sold to his Excellency Lorents Creutz, a man of many titles, who eventually was appointed an admiral although he hadn't the slightest knowledge of the sea or the navy.
In a battle against the Danes off the island Öland in 1676, Creutz ordered his ship to turn around with the gun ports still wide open.
Water gushed in, lanterns in the powder room were crushed and the ship blew sky high. Lorents Creutz and 800 of his crew lost their lives.
A little over two hundred years ago Louis Masreliez produced the beautiful decorations of the house.
The brothers Masreliez also decorated parts of the royal castle. It is thought that Louis Masreliez himself lived in the building and even owned it at one point, but this isn’t certain.
What is certain however is that in 1802 the building was bought by the merchant Johan Henrik Scharp and it was to stay in the family for a full century.
His daughter Ulrika married Carl David Skogman, who was a prominent financier and civil servant.
The family lived in the apartment that today houses the real estate company Endräkten.
The next owner of No. 10 Skeppsbron was Karl Otto Bonnier in the year 1902.
Karl Otto Bonnier was a publisher who had a great impact on Swedish cultural life. Under his ownership, the famous author Sigfrid Siewerts resided in the building.
In 1958 the building was bought by Endräkten.
The company consists of four shipping organizations:
The Sea Captains’ Society, The Neptune Order, The Steam Ship Commanding Society and the Sailors’ Society.
By then it was in need of repairs. The basement was changed to strengthen the foundations and during this work a small rowboat was found from the time when the water was lapping at the front of the buildings and the street that is today Skeppsbron didn’t exist.
In the 1630’s a part of the old city wall would have been running through the plot of land belonging to the building, but that was probably torn down when the house was built. No trace of it was found. In addition the apartments were restored and the attic was turned into a large space where the well preserved beams were kept visible.
Today the Sjöfartshusets Festvåningar is owned and run by Pål Håkansson & Kenneth Wallin and comprises three floors: On the first floor is the Gustavian salons where the wonderful works of Masreliez can be seen. In the third floor, once the servants’ quarters, we have our conference rooms, and our striking dining area is on the fourth floor.
This house, with its beautiful interior and exterior, is brimming with history, kept alive through careful preservation. It has known greatness in the past and still vibrant today.
Welcome to Sjöfartshuset